“We Have Obtained an Inheritance”Categories: Friday First
Sunday Scripture Reading: Jason Pratt
Sunday Song Leader: Roy Pyle
TEXT: Ephesians 1.11-14
In Ephesians 1.10 Paul says our salvation is part of God’s plan to one day unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. What a glorious thought!
What will happen when this occurs?
We’ll receive our inheritance, 1.11. The fact of our receiving it is so sure that Paul writes as if it has already occurred. God always keeps His promises. This may sound strange in a world where almost every day we live inside broken promises and betrayed trust. Everybody makes promises, but not everybody keeps them. Politicians lie. The government lies. Advertisers lie. Employers and employees lie. Family members lie. But there is one person how makes promises and never breaks them, and that’s our God! For He who promised is faithful, Hebrews 10.23.
This fact is what makes our text in Ephesians 1.11-14 so bright. The person who is in Christ can live with full assurance that there is an inheritance waiting to the praise of His glory.
On Sunday, we discuss three things:
- 1.11-12 - The grounds of our inheritance.
- 1.13-14a - The guarantee of our inheritance.
- 1.14b - The goal of our inheritance.
As you get ready for worship, be thinking about these questions:
- To whom are all spiritual blessings made available?
- Read Ephesians 1.3-14. How many times the words In Him, before Him, or in the beloved is used. What is the importance of this?
- Is there anything in 1.12-13 that emphasizes our personal responsibility in salvation?
- What did it mean to be sealed during Paul’s day?
- As we move into 2018, why is it important to understand who you are?