“Facing the Cross”Categories: Friday First
SUNDAY SCRIPTURE READING: Jason Schofield
SUNDAY SONG LEADER: Russ Robins
TEXT: John 12.27-34
As we move into February, we want to look at Jesus and His actual execution of God’s plan. It is where victory was accomplished. Jesus fought the battle for us and came out victorious! Satan has been mortally wounded. Death has been overcome. Through Jesus’ death, much spiritual fruit would come, John 12.24.
On Sunday we will examine John 12.27-34. This is Wednesday of the crucifixion week. Jesus is now turning his full attention to the cross. The cross is why He came. Jesus was going to be glorified by dying. He knew He was God’s chosen sacrifice in order to bring forgiveness to the world.
As we worship Sunday we’ll consider these things:
- The background of John 12.27-34.
- The anguish Jesus experienced.
- How God answered Jesus in this very painful moment.
- What would be accomplished through the cross.
As you get ready for worship, be thinking about these questions:
- What do you think was troubling Jesus’ soul in 12.27?
- Are there any things you can find comfort from in 12.27-28?
- Why do you think some people could not figure out it was God who spoke in 12.28b?
- How had the Father already glorified Jesus? How would He do this again?
- Why do you think it is important to remember Satan was dethroned at Calvary?