“Do Good to Everyone”Categories: In the Bulletin
During October, we’re talking about the pursuit. As disciples, we follow Jesus, who spent His life on earth in constant service of others. Doing good is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5.22) and is the natural result of allowing God to shape our heart. In Galatians 6.8 Paul said that we will reap eternal life when we allow acts of service to characterize our life.
What are some good things you can do? For those inside and outside of the church? Here are ten simple suggestions (in no particular order):
- Romans 12.10 - help your family - the ones you need to serve the most are often the ones closest to you.
- 1 Peter 4.10-11 - volunteer to serve in your spiritual family - what spiritual gifts do you possess that you can use in service to others?
- Matthew 25.36 - donate items to the needy - you probably have clothes and other possessions you don’t need that someone else could use.
- 1 Thessalonians 5.11 - send someone an encouraging note - use the church directory to identify someone you think could use an uplifting message of support and hope.
- Acts 20.35 - deliver a meal - someone may be going through a difficult time and really appreciate this act of kindness.
- Hebrews 13.16 - watch someone’s kids - give a young mother a break.
- Philippians 2.3 - help others shine - build them up and applaud their efforts.
- James 1.19 - listen - make a world of difference in someone’s life by allowing them to just talk and express how they feel.
- Proverbs 11.24-25 - pay it forward - your act of kindness might just come at the right moment for someone else.
- Galatians 6.9 - every day of your life is an opportunity to do good - sometimes the best acts of kindness are spontaneous and do not have to make a powerful difference in someone else’s life.
We can all demonstrate the love of Christ. How are you doing? Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor, Romans 12.10.
- Matthew Allen