“Why Christians Struggle with Confidence”Categories: Friday First
Why Christians Struggle with Confidence
The New Testament writers were strongly devoted to helping Christians gain assurance. We can know the truth. 1 John 3.19 says that that knowledge will lead us to reassurance. In other words, we can be persuaded confidently that we belong to God.
Assurance is a spiritual reality that we should enjoy. God wants us to love and enjoy our new life. We can be confident of our future (Philippians 1.6), our access (Hebrews 6.18b-20), and our ability to approach God during a time of need (Hebrews 2.18). God never wants you to go through life worrying or wondering if you belong to Him.
But yet, there are still those who lack assurance. Why is that?
On Sunday we’ll discuss five reasons why people struggle with assurance:
- Strong preaching
- Difficulty accepting forgiveness
- Failure to grasp the doctrine of justification
- The battle with the flesh
- Failure to see God in trials
As you get ready for worship, be thinking about these things:
- Why are we often fearful of self-examination?
- If someone asked you to explain the gospel, could you do it succinctly?
- What happened in your justification?
- Why are our heavenly and spiritual affections of such importance?
- What are some things you can do in order to see God working during a trial?
Sunday Song Leader: Jim Rutter
Sunday Scripture Reading: Jason Schofield
TEXT: Colossians 2.1-3