"God's Tactical Plan" Series - Part 2: God's Masterpiece (Understanding Your New Identity...)Series: God's Tactical Plan
The fact that we’re sitting here together today worshipping God, commemorating the death of Christ, and considering our great salvation - is all the result of God’s exceeding love, abundant grace, the riches of His grace. Our salvation is all in and through Jesus. There is no such thing as salvation without Christ in the middle of it. Today, we’ll learn about the present reality of our salvation as well as the work God is doing to turn you into a masterpiece of grace.
Ephesians 2.4-6; 8-9 - Salvation: A Present Reality
- See the contrast in 2.1-3 and 2.4: Wrath for God’s enemies and mercy for His children.
- 1.19-20 - There is power available to us who believe.
- 1.20a/2.5 - by his power, God raised Jesus from the dead. By that same power, God raises us from spiritual death. God brings dead people to life.
- 1.20b/2.6 - by his power, God seated Jesus at his right hand in the heavenly places. By that same power, God has seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
- 2.5 - saved is written in present tense. It is a present reality.
- Notice 2.5-6: alive, raised up, and seated with Christ.
- Connect with what Paul teaches in Colossians 1.12-13.
- Deliver means “rescued” This is God’s ultimate goal in history, Luke 4.18.
- Transferred means “a change of state, with the emphasis upon the difference in the resulting state.”
- Also connect with Colossians 2.12-14.
- Ephesians 2.8-9 has been called the hallelujah chorus of salvation.
Ephesians 2.7, 10 - A Masterpiece of Grace
- 2.7 - God wants to demonstrate the immeasurable riches of His grace through Jesus for all eternity.
- Psalm 103.10-14; Malachi 3.17 - We have a God who is eager to display his lovingkindness. You are God’s treasured possession.
- 2.10 - A focus on our recreation in Christ. ESV: For we are His workmanship.
- Workmanship: “creation” (HCSB). Craftmanship; design; handiwork; work of art.
- Created: Connect with 2 Corinthians 5.17; Ephesians 4.24.
- 2.10b - why have you been created? answer: for good works.
- Paul is stressing that the new order of our life produces good works.
- Philippians 2.12-13 - The more you know the Father, the more you’ll imitate Him.
- Ephesians 2.1-10 is one of the most incredible sections of scripture in the entire Bible. Don’t miss it’s power or it’s message.
- Leave this world behind. There’s nothing here for you. Nothing here is worth forfeiting your soul.