Made OneSeries: God's Tactical Plan
In Ephesians 2.11-22, Paul looks at all who have been saved and how they come from all kinds of divergent backgrounds. All distinctions between them had been removed. When God looks at us He sees us as one. No class system. No hierarchy. No favored ones. No black sheep. There is only “in christ.” There are so many lessons here for us today and how we work together in the kingdom.
Ephesians 2.11-12 - The State of Their Former Condition
- 2.12 - Christless - you were at that time separated from Christ.
- 2.12 - Stateless - alienated from the commonwealth of Israel.
- 2.12 - Covenantless - strangers to the covenants of promise.
- 2.12 - Hopeless - having no hope.
- 2.12 - Godless - without God in the world.
- 2.13 - But now… In Christ Jesus you who were once far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. See also Acts 2.38-39.
- This should drive us to humility. What happens when you have an entire congregation of the same people moving with the same intentions?
Ephesians 2.14 - Jesus is the Peace That Fills the body
- 2.14 - He himself is our peace. Paul is saying that Jesus alone is our peace.
- 2.14 - He has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility. Jesus supplies the unity. Connect to 4.3 - are we eager to maintain?
- Paul wants Christians to radiate acceptance and love. He wants us to rip down fences that divide. We are all just “in Christ” people. Jesus is our peace.
Ephesians 2.15 - Jesus Created a completely new body
- 2.15 - by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace.
- Jesus created something new of which there has never been another kind.
- A body of believers from all different tribes and languages and backgrounds.
Our Challenge today:
- Oh that we may realize that disunity brings heartache to God.
- When we receive the gift of salvation - God changes our position and eliminates our sin. Now we are in the family of God, fully cleansed.
- We each individually share the common life of God and together we stand at the foot of the cross one with each other before God.
- 1 Corinthians 12.12-13 - like a body is one - the church is one.
- Unity, humility, thankfulness, and dependence on Jesus are required for unity.
- Do these qualities describe your life? Do you need to give yourself to Jesus?