A Dwelling Place for GodSeries: God's Tactical Plan
Everything in Ephesians 2 is an explanation of how God has worked the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe. During January, we’ve been talking about God’s Tactical Plan. Last week we looked at 2.11-16. Here, Paul’s point is simple. God demonstrated His power toward those who believe by removing every barrier to division and making all Christians one in Christ. We are, growing into a holy temple in the Lord, having been built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit, 2.21-22.
Ephesians 2.17-22 - Reconciled to God and One Another
- Jews and Gentiles have access in one Spirit to the Father.
- Gentiles are no longer strangers and aliens. This is all by the power of Jesus.
- Every barrier between God’s people has been removed.
- Colossians 3.11; Galatians 5.6; 6.15; Romans 6.3-7 - this pertains to all of us.
- When we look at God’s people, what should we see?
- Galatians 3.28 - 3 major social divisions of Paul’s day. What would these be today? Black/white; Rich/poor; or Male/female.
- Galatians 3.29 - We are all heirs according to the promise.
Our Challenge Today:
- Resisting Satan.
- Colossians 2.15 - Remember Satan is a defeated foe.
- For he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world, 1 John 4.4b.
- Resisting Pride.
- Isaiah 2.12, 17 - God hates all that is proud and lofty.
- Ephesians 2.8-9 - Salvation by grace through faith is devastating to pride.
- Resisting Feelings of inferiority and self-doubt.
- God has given us the power to challenge this mindset. See 1 John 3.1; Ephesians 5.1 - you are God’s beloved. We need to see each other and ourselves in this light.
- Resisting Hate - The gospel can cure this - See Ephesians 4.31-32.
- Resisting Apathy - This spirit stands in contrast to Ephesians 4.3.
Ephesians 3.20 - The Gospel Gives us the Power to Succeed
- Disagreement, dysfunction, and disunity can be very intimidating.
- Our relationships inside and outside the church will flourish when all of us determine to act in accordance with Ephesians 4.2-3.
- Human barriers and divisions no longer matter.
- Will you accept God’s offer of salvation?