We Shall All Be ChangedSeries: It is Finished
The hope of the Christian can be found in 1 Corinthians 15.20-22. It is a hope made possible by the victory obtained by Jesus over Satan through His death and resurrection, 2000 years ago. It is a hope that sustains us today, as we watch our friends and loved ones go across the valley one by one. One day, you will die. Are you living with the hope Paul talked about in 1 Corinthians 15?
1 Corinthians 15.50-53 - Mystery Revealed:
- 15.50 - Two statements of fact:
- Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God.
- The perishable does not inherit the imperishable.
- 15.51 - At the second coming, some Christians will be alive. Others will have died. The bodies of both will be changed.
- 15.52 - How it will happen: In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye,…
- 15.53 - Here, Paul says two things that will be changed about our bodies:
- We will become imperishable and put on immortality.
- 2 Corinthians 5.1-5 - Note the word picture here…
1 Corinthians 15.54-57 - Victory and How it happens
- Death is no longer our master, because death no longer has dominion over Him, Romans 6.9.
- But, one day, death will be swallowed up in victory. See Isaiah 25.8; Hosea 13.14.
- It will not destroy us. There will be no death in death. See John 11.25-26.
- 15.56-57 - How can this be?
- 15.56 - The power of sin is the law.
- 15.57 - How did death get swallowed up? By the power and initiative of God.
- Galatians 3.13; 1 Peter 2.24
- What remains for us at death?
- 2 Corinthians 5.8 - We will be away from the body, and at home with the Lord.
- Philippians 1.21 - to die is gain.
1 Corinthians 15.58 - Three keywords. Three imperatives.
- Be steadfast. Keep your commitment and finish your work.
- Be immovable. Stay strong and remain unshaken.
- Abound in the work of the Lord. Fill your days with things that count for Christ.
The Peace of Victory is Found Through the Word and Prayer
- 2 Corinthians 1.8-9 - God wants you to rely more on Him.
- 1 Thessalonians 5.9-10 - God has not destined you for wrath.
- Psalm 4.7-8 - God will bring peace to your life.
- God has our back. In everything. Including death.
- Do you know Him?