Life Lived in the Presence of GodSeries: The Church: A Place of Comfort
1 John 3:1 and 16 reveal God’s great and unending love for us. They can become a great source of comfort. How do we respond? How can we return love to One we do not see? How can we make this relationship real? Intimate? Lasting? How can we be reminded of God’s presence in the ordinary days of life? Today we’ll discuss the principle that says: As I grow in my relationship with God, the amount of comfort and peace I experience in this life will grow concurrently.
I. Spiritual Highs
- Genesis 6.17-7.16 - Can you imagine being one of 8 people to go through this? Just stop for a moment and place yourself in Noah’s shoes.
- What it would have sounded like when God shut the door to the ark?
- Hundreds of days later, they emerge, having made it safely through the flood.
- 9.13-15 - the rainbow was a sign of the covenant.
- Rainbows are impressive. No doubt that every time Noah saw a rainbow he remembered God’s promise. He experienced the sustaining and delivering power of God.
- 2 Chronicles 6:40-42 – Solomon’s prayer at temple dedication.
- 7:1-3 – here are the results of Solomon’s prayer.
- Think of days when you are on a spiritual high. These days are gifts. Why?
II. There will be plenty of ordinary days to go around
- Fighting off spiritual habituation is a great challenge for us.
- John 10:10b - abundantly. Jesus did not die for you to do “OK.”
- Why isn’t every day filled with spiritual highs?
- Could it be that God wants us to learn to see Him in the ordinary?
- God wants us to slow down and pay attention!
III. How can we seek God’s presence?
- 1 Chronicles 16:8-12 – Worship. We have so much to be thankful for.
- Psalm 20:5-7; 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – Pray.
- Philippians 4.6-7 - A healthy prayer life – brings peace and comfort.
- Hebrews 10:22-24 – Encourage others.
- 2 Corinthians 1.3-4 - You can be used by God to bring comfort to your brothers and sisters in our spiritual family.
- Philippians 2.3-4.
- Ephesians 3.16-21 – Look at what we receive from God when we choose to align ourselves with Him.