Allowing God to ReignSeries: None of Self and All of Thee
In our vision plan (p. 16), our shepherds write about our biggest obstacle in allowing God to reign. Do you remember what it is? Galatians 5.16-17 gives us the answer: It is us. 2 Corinthians 5.14-15 - we must get out of the way by emptying ourself. How do you define selflessness? There is no better example of selflessness than Jesus. In Mark 10 where Jesus shows us the level to which we must reach for.
Mark 10.35-44 - The Context.
- Mark 10.35-37 - James/John’s request: Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.
- 10.38 - Jesus’ response … you do not know what you are asking. Are you able…
- 10.38b, 40 - the cup. What is that? It’s death.
- 10.38b, 39b - baptism. What is that? (see also Luke 12.50.)
- 10.40 - to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant…. God would decide who would sit on Jesus’ right & left hand.
- 10.41 - The other disciples began to be indignant at James and John.
- 10.42-44 - Jesus calls them all together and teaches:
- 10.43 - If a person desires to be great, he/she must become a servant.
- 10.44 - If a person desires to be first, he/she must be slave of all.
Mark 10.44-45 - Jesus Died to Serve Us.
- 10.44 - whoever would be first among you must be slave of all.
- “Slave of all” is defined for us in 10.45.
- 10.45b - serving results in the giving up of life - as a ransom for many.
- Mark 8.34 - those who commit to be like Him will suffer.
- 10.45a - for even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve…
Mark 10.45 - Jesus Called Disciples, Not Servants.
- 10.45a - Jesus did not come to be served. In our relationship, He serves us.
- John 15.5 - apart from me you can do nothing.
- To be successful, we must allow God to reign. We have to abide in Christ.
Mark 10.45 contains both a demand and a promise
- First, Jesus demands our life. All of it.
- Luke 14.33. This is hard. This is what it means to allow God to reign.
- Mark 10.23-27 - Jesus: with man it is impossible, but not with God, for all things are possible with God. What things are possible with God?
- 10.38-40 - drinking the cup that Jesus drank and being baptized with the baptism Jesus was.
- Mark 10.45 is what turns the gospel into good news! Jesus said He came to give his life as a ransom.
- Unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven, Matthew 18.3.
- Will you allow Jesus to serve you?