Why Christians Struggle with ConfidenceSeries: Trust
How apt are we at taking God at His word? He has a plan to bring you home. He’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen. Assurance is a spiritual reality that we should enjoy. God never wants you to go through life worrying or wondering if you belong to Him. But yet, there are still those who lack assurance. Why?
- 2 Corinthians 13.5 - test yourselves. Preachers job: to stir people to self examination.
- Preaching has been designed by God to stir people to a high standard.
- It can be tempting to spread a message of comfort. Preachers like to be liked.
- Balance is necessary .. and that’s a subjective thing.
Difficulty Accepting Forgiveness
- Three things work on our mind make us feel unworthy of being saved:
- The conscience.
- The Law of God.
- God’s divine justice.
- This is where the gospel comes in. 1 John 3.19: by this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before Him.
Failure to Grasp the Doctrine of Justification
- We all need an accurate understanding of what happened when God saved us.
- Psalm 103.12 - he removes your sin as far as the east is from the west.
- Isaiah 1.18 - your scarlet stained garments have been made white as snow.
- How did this happen?
- Isaiah 53.5:: upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. There is no reluctance in the saving work of God.
- Romans 4.5 - to the one who believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness. God specializes in justifying the ungodly.
- Assurance is not an emotional experience, it is a rational reality.
- Romans 8.38 - For I am sure. How? By the facts of the gospel.
The Battle With the Flesh
- Galatians 5.17 - the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit.
- Romans 7.24 - Who will deliver me from this body of death?
- Romans 8.23 - we wait eagerly for …the redemption of our bodies.
- How do you know when the flesh is pressing in hard?
- Romans 7.16-20… Where are your affections?
- 7.18 - What did Paul want to do? I have the desire to do what is right.
Failure to See God in Trials
- 2 Corinthians 12.8-9a - My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
- Romans 8.35 - who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
- Where are your affections? Give yourself to Him today.