How Will You Live Your Life?
This year’s theme will focus on doing God’s will today, so you can have a better tomorrow and ultimately, a better eternity. But, if life is so uncertain, why plan? On the other hand, If I make plans, is that an indication that I’m not trusting in God like I should? Time and chance happen to us all. There is no avoiding it. The question is, how well will we cope with whatever tomorrow brings? Being prepared for whatever comes is the basis for our plan this year. Being prepared, making plans, good stewardship, must involve God every step of the way.
James 4.13-14a - Don’t live life as if God doesn’t exist.
- 4.13a - Come now… A brash call for attention.
- 4.13b - Today or tomorrow … we’ll conduct business, trade, and make money.
- The issue is not in what is said, but in what is not said.
- Luke 12.20 - Fool! This night your soul is required of you… A person is a fool who does not plan for contingencies related to God.
- 4.14a - Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. It’s presumptuous to think all will come to pass and live as if God doesn’t exist.
James 4.14b - Don’t live like you’re invincible.
- 4.14b - What is your life? It’s personal. Not what is life? What is your life?
- You… are a mist. A breath. A vapor. Steam.
- You…appear for a little time and then vanish.
- It is foolish to plan as if you’ll always be here.
- Job 7.9 - life is like a cloud that fades and vanishes.
- Job 8.9 - our days on earth are a shadow.
- Job 9.25 - my days are swifter than a runner.
James 4.15 - Include God in Your Plans
- Psalm 37.3-11:
- 37.3 - Trust in the Lord. Do good. Befriend faithfulness.
- 37.5 - Commit your way to the Lord. Trust in Him. He will act.
- 37.11 - God’s people will delight themselves in abundant peace.
- Proverbs 3.5-7:
- 3.5 - Trust God. Don’t just depend on your own understanding.
- 3.6 - Acknowledge God. His ways are right. Adopt them in your life. Why? He will make straight your paths.
- 3.7 - Fear God. Turn away from evil.
- James 4.15 - Instead you ought to say, “if the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”
- It’s not planning, good stewardship, or preparedness that is sinful … it is the exclusion of God in our life that leads to problems.
- James 4.16 - As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. Don’t brag pretentiously about something you do not have and cannot do.
- There’s no better way to end this year and get ready for the next than by getting your life right with God. How can we serve you?