Stressed Out LivesSeries: What Makes Us Nervous About the Future?
Uncertainty is everywhere. People are distressed about our nation; the economy; their jobs; their family; marriage; and kids. We’re even distressed about the weather. Society is not coping well. The sense of hopelessness is real. Everything feels out of balance. So what is the answer? What can we do? How can we respond?
The Solution to Our Anxieties is Not In Ourselves
- In Luke 12.22-32 there are three commands to His disciples:
- 12.22 - Do not be anxious about your life.
- 12.29 - Do not …be worried.
- 12.32 - Fear not…
- 12.30 - When it comes to the physical - your Father knows you need these things.
- 12.32 - when it comes to the spiritual - It is your Fathers good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Luke 12.22-23 - Worry Disregards God’s Priority
- 12.23 - For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.
- Life is not just about the physical. You were created for His glory.
Luke 12.24 - Worry Fails to Understand God’s Provision
- 12.24b - Of how much more value are you than the birds?
- If God takes care of the birds, he will take care of you.
Luke 12.25-26 - Worry Fails to See God’s privilege
- 12.25 - Which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
- Can you control the length of your life? Is all our worry going to lengthen it?
Luke 12.27-29 - Worry Fails to See Divine Preference
- 12.27 - Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin…
- 12.28 - What happens to the grass and the lilies? They live today and die tomorrow. They serve no spiritual purpose.
- And yet, look at God’s preference… if God clothes the lilies of the field, how much more will he clothe you?
- 12.29a - Don’t make these things the pursuit of your life.
Luke 12.30-31- Worry Fails to See God’s Paternity
- 12.30b - Your father knows that you need them. Do you believe God is your Father?
- 12.30a - For all the nations of the world seek after these things…
- Seek after: the sense of the word is “to seek diligently.”
- Back to 12.30b - God is your provider; protector.
- 12.31 - Seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. This is how we make it real.
- Psalm 34.8-10, 15, 19; 37.1-2; 3-4, 5, 7, 11, 25.
- Luke 12.32 - Worry is a failure to understand God’s pleasure. God loves to provide for the children He loves.
- Are you His child?