Living Inside a Hostile Anti-Christian CultureSeries: What Makes Us Nervous About the Future?
This month at Kettering, we’re talking about some of the things that make us nervous about the future. This is not the same world it was 30 or 50 years ago. We have now had at least two generations raised with a secular mindset. How will we respond going forward?
- George Barna: “Only ____________________________% of non-Christians, age 16-29 say they have a good impression of Christianity.”
- Many regard Christianity as out of touch with modern life and inconsistent with modern knowledge.
- There is a segment of society that believes “radical” Christianity is just a threatening as “radical” Islam.
- Christianity is _________________________________. Solution: Romans 12.3; Philippians 2.3-4.
- Christianity is ________________________________. Solution: 1 Peter 1.13-19
- Christianity is old fashioned and out of touch. Faith is boring, dull, flat, and lifeless.
- Respond with the right perspective. We can’t get angry or defensive.
- Connect with people and build relationships.
- Romans 12.9-18: genuine love; consistency; warmth; honor; involvement…
- 12.16 - Live in _________________________________; 12.17 - do what is _____________________________________; 12.18 - live peaceably with all.
- 1 Corinthians 13.13; 1 Peter 4.7-8.
- Serve people. Cultivate an atmosphere of concern for those outside Christ?
- Micah 6.8 - Known for humble living and pursuing _______________________________________ and offering mercy.
- Matthew 5.44 - Love people who seem to be enemies and pray for them.
- Luke 4.18 - Jesus’ ministry is first introduced by freeing ________________________, serving the oppressed, and healing the sick.
- Mark 9.35 - If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and ______________________________ of all.
- Demonstrate a lifestyle of compassion
- Isaiah 58.1-12.
- We must recover love and concern for others.
- We can change perceptions, one person at a time.
- How committed are you in living for Christ?