Whoever is of God Hears the Words of GodSeries: How We Are Coping with the Present
Self examination has always been difficult - but it is extremely hard in post-modern culture. We now have at least 3 generations who have been fully immersed in it. (Baby Boomers, Generation X & Millennials) We have largely, as a culture, become so open-minded that we stand for nothing. If there is a sin, it is operating with moral and religious certainty and authority. If there is a sin, it is the preaching of Christian principles with conviction. As we’ll see today, everything begins with a Biblical worldview. The belief that God’s word is inspired, infallible, and authoritative. The commitment to one way - God’s way. In reality, it’s all that matters - if we have fully committed to allowing Christ to reign over our heart.
- Objective truth is outside ourselves. It has come from a source beyond human origination.
- Subjective truth is inside ourselves. It derives from self-origination.
- 2 Peter 1.20-21: No prophecy was ever produced by the will of man .
- No human individual or humans collectively are sources for divine truth.
- Scripture is God’s revealed truth and will remain so whether we accept it or not.
- 2 Timothy 3.16 - all Scripture is breathed out by God…
- Psalm 119.160 - everyone of your righteous rules endures forever .
- Scripture is logical because God is logical.
- 2 Timothy 2.15: What is the aim Paul looks for in this verse? To rightly handle the word of truth
- Scripture is best understood through the process of reason. Just like math or science or any other problem.
- Objective revelation of Scripture interpreted rationally yields an understanding of unalterable principles.
- Romans 6.17-18: you have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed.
- God intends His truths to be spoken with authority.
- Romans 7.7-8 - What did Paul say about law?
- The law reveals sin. If it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin.
- The law arouses sin. Sin seizing an opportunity through the commandment...
- Truth is incompatible with error. Truth is intolerant.
- This is where we really clash with the culture.
- We can’t apologize for truth, or compromise with those who wish to ignore it.
- We can conduct ourselves with tact, empathy, and concern.
- Colossians 4.6 - let your speech always be gracious , seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
- Truth is to be applied.
- Titus 1.16 - To do otherwise is to deny the truth.
- John 8.47- Are you hearing the word of God? Are you of God?
- Hebrews 4.12-13 - If we hold our life up to the standard .. and find things lacking .. we must make the necessary adjustments because a day is coming in which we must give an account.
- Are you prepared for that day?