They Have Turned Aside and Gone AwaySeries: How We Are Coping with the Present
What is going on with our nation? Long driven by Intellectuals and educators, godless ideology and humanist thinking is being pushed out on a mass scale. Simultaneously, there is an all out assault on those who publicly advocate the existence of the Biblical God. Christian beliefs and advocates are mocked every single day. Science and intellectualism are the new gods. In the name of freedom, tolerance, and mutual respect, we’re told that we must bow down to these gods. We must tolerate them. It’s a wholesale rejection of God. But, it’s all a lie. The solution is to get out of ourselves and the things we’ve created and see what God has created.
The Last Days of Judah Parallel Today
- Jeremiah 5.21
- Hear this, … lit., “hear this, would you please.” Written in the sense that God is tired and exasperated. It expresses anything but respect.
- Foolish and senseless people, … lit., “stupid people without heart.”
- Jeremiah 5.22-23 - The analogy:
- Jeremiah 5.22a - Do you not fear me? Do you not tremble before me?
- Jeremiah 5.22b - God has placed the sand as the boundary for the sea.
- Jeremiah 5.23-25 - The application:
- 5.23: The people break all the boundaries.
- 5.24: They gave the credit to Baal. See Hosea 2.8.
- 5.25: God withheld His blessings to show His displeasure.
- What if God sent a prophet to our nation today and repeated Jeremiah 5.21-23?
Jeremiah 1.4-5a: Live a Consecrated Life
- Consecrated - “set apart for divine service” means to “make holy,” or “to sanctify.”
- Jeremiah had a divine mission.
- 1 Peter 1.13-19. 2 Corinthians 7.1 - we are to bring holiness to completion in the fear of God.
- Colossians 3.17 - whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, …
Jeremiah 1.5b-10: Embrace God’s Appointment
- God appointed Jeremiah a prophet to the nations.
- 2 Corinthians 5.20-6.1 - two things:
- Just like Paul, we are ambassadors for Christ.
- We have the same message as Paul…
- Jeremiah 1.7-10: To be successful, we’ll need to trust God’s equipping. 1.8: focus on God’s promise to deliver from trials and low-points.
Jeremiah 13.17 - Move with Deep Mourning
- Jeremiah 13:17: But if you will not listen, my soul will weep in secret for your pride; my eyes will weep bitterly and run down with tears, because the Lord’s flock has been taken captive.
- As we stand inside the culture representing God’s ways, we can’t be callous or indifferent. We can’t be arrogant. We can’t be puffed up and give off the impression we’re better.
- Colossians 4.5-6 - this will take wisdom, forethought, understanding, and even restraint.
- Jeremiah 5.22 NEB - Are you reverencing God by the way you live your life?
- Do you have eyes, but can’t see? Do you have ears, but can’t hear?
- Jeremiah 4.3-4