What Do You Believe About Yourself?Series: Building Your Spiritual Life Plan
What Do You Believe About Yourself?
As we began the 2019 teaching curriculum, we laid out three teaching objectives for this quarter: 1) Discover the importance/relevance of asking, “What About Tomorrow?” 2) All good preparation begins with self-examination. Now, as we move into February, we want to 3) help you develop a spiritual life plan that will help you navigate this world and ultimately, be ready for the one that is to come.
What You Think Matters
- Proverbs 4.23:
- Heart: the mind or personality of an individual.
- Source: A well spring. From it, our life flows.
- Proverbs 23.7: NASB footnote: “as he reckons in his soul,” so he is.
Two Types of Thinkers: Scarcity thinkers & Abundant thinkers.
- Scarcity thinkers: distorted beliefs about the world, others, and themselves.
- What gets us here? There are plenty of sources for limiting beliefs.
You Can Upgrade Your Beliefs
- In whatever circumstance you find yourself, you have the power to upgrade your future.
- Exodus 3.10 - God calls Moses to a monumental task.
- See Exodus 3.11-4.13.
- Exodus 3.13 - I don’t know what to say.
- Each time God responds to Moses’ limiting belief. See Exodus 3.12-4.17.
- Exodus 4.14 - I will send Aaron with you as a spokesman.
- Who will we trust? God or our self-talk? What was Paul’s message to the Ephesian church?
- Ephesians 1.18-23 - the same power that resurrected Jesus from the dead is in us.
- 3.20 - God’s power “is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us.”
- Matthew 25.15 - one person received 5 talents. Another 2. Another 1.
- Matthew 25.16-17 - These men took personal responsibility…
- Matthew 25.24-25 - What limiting beliefs do you see here?
- 25.24 - blameshifting.
- 25.25 - I was afraid. Maybe he tried before and failed.
How to Revise Your Beliefs
- Recognize the limiting belief.
- Record the belief. Review the belief.
- Reject or Reframe the belief. Revise the belief.
- Reorient yourself to the new belief.
Where Christianity Begins
- 2 Corinthians 5.17: This is the new reality Jesus has created for you.
- Romans 12.2: It is in your mind where the real transformation begins.
- Philippians 4.8: whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, and excellent … think about these things.
- John 7.38: Is your heart characterized by living water?
- Don’t allow the limiting thoughts Satan is placing in your head make you believe salvation is for everyone else but you.