You Can't Do This AloneSeries: Building Your Spiritual Life Plan
In 2000, Robert Putnam published the NY Times best seller, Bowling Alone. He demonstrated how Americans have become disconnected from family, friends, neighbors, and our democratic structures. He warned how the very fabric of our connections with one another has plummeted. Americans belong to fewer organizations that meet, know their neighbors less, meet with friends less frequently, and even socialize with our families less often. We are in the midst of cultural upheaval. All of which makes it easy for us to relegate the spiritual to a small compartment in life - and not include godly people in our life as much as we used to. Today, we will stress the fact that you can’t go at Christianity alone. Our spiritual success is largely dependent on the help we receive from others along the way.
The Myth of the Self-Made Christian
- American culture has long promoted the idea of the self-made man/woman.
- Is there anything to it?
- It is impossible to discount the value of our social circle.
- Think of those who surround you today. They’ve encouraged you. They’ve kept you going.
- Proverbs 27.9b - the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel.
- When building your spiritual life plan, peers matter.
Choose the Right People
- If iron sharpens iron, Proverbs 27.17; we need to be careful about the kind of edge others are giving us.
- Ecclesiastes 4.9-10. Two are better than one…
- Good, godly people around us stimulate us in these three things:
- Hebrews 10.24 - and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works.
- Galatians 6.1-2 - bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
- Consider the principles from these passages:
- 1 Samuel 23.16 - Jonathan strengthened his hand in God.
- 1 Corinthians 15.33 - bad company ruins good morals…
A Biblical Example of Sharing & Encouragement
- Acts 16.22-24 - Paul & Silas put in prison for preaching the gospel.
- Look at the negatives: beaten up; locked up; chained up.
- How did they concentrate on the positive? Looked up; prayed up; sang up; & spoke up.
- So… are you ready to get going on your spiritual life plan?
- And, team up with God’s people who will encourage you in your spiritual life, Hebrews 10.24.