Preparing Your MindSeries: The Pursuit of Knowledge
The pursuit of God is not a part of our life … it is our life. We need to regularly ask - can it be said of me that my life is the pursuit of God? What is being said about you and who/what you are pursuing? We should all want to be known as disciples of God and our pursuit of HIm. Desire, hunger/thirst, desperation for God is not only the only essential we need. Equally important is the state of our mind. Do we have the type of mind that is ready to receive the Word?
Don’t Believe Everything You Think
- Scripture also points out we can lie to ourselves: Jeremiah 17.9. The heart is deceitful above all things…
- We can tell self things aren’t really that bad when they really are. Doing OK when not OK.
- So, what you think may not always be correct. We can make snap judgments; jump to conclusions; and miss the big picture.
Guard Your Mind
- Psalm 101.3 - I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless.
- 2 Ways to Guard Your Mind:
- Philippians 4.6-7 - Pray about everything.
- Philippians 4.8 - Fix Your Thoughts
- Think about these things: Concentrated focusing.
Never Let Up on Learning
- What does Jesus want from us?
- See Matthew 11.28-29.
- 11.29 - Take my yoke and learn from me.
- We learn in several ways, one of which is from each other.
- Proverbs 20.5 NLT: though good advice lies deep within the heart, a person with understanding will draw it out.
- Proverbs 27.17 - iron sharpens iron.
- Learning involves humility. See Proverbs 18.15; 10.14.
- Proverbs 2.1; 7.1. See the two imperatives here. Receive and keep.
- See also Proverbs 10.14 NLT; 19.8
Allow God’s Word to Stretch Your Mind and Vision
- Consider this passage: Proverbs 29.18 NASB95: Where there is no vision the people are unrestrained….
- What’s your dream for the next 10 years of your spiritual life?
- Is your mind prepared for the word of God? Do you see purpose behind the pursuit of spiritual knowledge? Is the acquisition of knowledge tied to your personal goals for spiritual improvement?