What Will Come up on Judgment Day?Series: Spiritual Service
In 2 Peter 1.5-7, there are four virtues we should focus on for today’s lesson: virtue, godliness, brotherly affection, and love. We are to make every effort to supply these things to our faith. Are these qualities present in your life. Look at 1.8, 10-11 - what happens if they are increasing? This fact should motivate us every single day.
A Look at Jesus
- During his life on earth, Jesus was the essence of moral excellence, godliness, brotherly affection, and love.
- Isaiah 61.1 - foretold by the prophets.
- Luke 7.22 - carried out during His earthly ministry.
- See also Matthew 4.24; Matthew 12.15; Luke 4:40. Total selflessness.
- Why the intense look at these passages?
- Luke 6.40. What is a disciple? A disciple is someone who will be like his teacher.
- Our eternity hinges on the way we follow through. See 2 Peter 1.9.
Living with the Judgment in Mind
- No person ever said more about the judgment than Jesus:
- Matthew 7.13 - destruction; Matthew 12.22-32 - the unforgivable sin
- Matthew 18:9 - hell; Mark 9:48 - fire; Luke 16.23 - torment
- Matthew 22.13 - darkness, weeping, gnashing of teeth
- A close look at Matthew 25.30, 41: 5 things we see:
- Separation - depart from me, 25.41; Association - for the devil, 25.41
- Isolation - darkness, 25.30; Duration - eternal, 25.41
- Affliction - fire, 25.41
What Will Come Up on Judgment Day?
- Focus on Matthew 25.31-40:
- 25.32-33 - All nations will be gathered. Sheep on His right hand.
- 25.34-36 - What’s going on here? The fulfillment of the second greatest command, i.e., Matthew 22.39-40.
- 25.40 - Truly I say to you, as you did it to the least of one of these my brothers, you did it to me. What seems to be in Jesus’ primary view on the day of judgment?
- Righteous people manifest characteristics of the Father.
- This is eternally serious.
- Service, rendered to another Christian is the mark of a Christian.
- Good intentions aren’t enough:
- James 2.14-17 - faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
- 1 John 3.18 - let us not love in word or talk, but in deed and in truth.
- Will we heed the warning of Matthew 25? Will you believe?
- What will Jesus say to you on judgment?
- Is your life full of moral excellence, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love?