Effective ServantsSeries: Spiritual Service
During the month of May, we’ve focused on spiritual service. This matter is one of urgency and extreme importance. It’s one that is so easy to put off. Today, we’ll be examining Acts 9.32-43, where we find 6 qualities of the effective servant. For Peter, people were his primary concern, as it should be for every Christian.
- 9.32 - here and there among them all…
- Being involved and procrastination do not go together.
- God could not care less about your future, because you’ll never live there.
- Acts 9.32a - Because Peter was moving, he found the opportunity in Lydda.
- Acts 9.34: Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you; rise and make your bed.
- Acts 9.34b - and immediately he rose.
- Who gets the glory for the healing? Jesus Christ heals you.
- Ephesians 6.10 - in who’s strength do we stand?
- 1 Peter 4.11b - that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.
- Acts 9.35 - …and they turned to the Lord.
- Availability is really the only thing we can offer God.
- Acts 9.36-37 sets up what happens next -- it’s all due to Peter’s availability.
- Acts 9.36b - she was full of good works.
- Acts 9.37 - she became ill and died. Why do they lay her in the upper room?
- 9.38 - They knew Peter was in Joppa. They urged him to come.
- 9.39a - Peter rose and went with them. He drops everything. No hesitation.
- Acts 9.39b-40 - Peter knelt down and prayed.
- Prayer is what releases power. Philippians 4.6-7 - the peace of God … will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- 9.42 - word of this became known throughout Joppa and many believed in the Lord.
- John 15.8 - we’ve been called to bear much fruit. This involves leading people to the Lord.
- Acts 9.43 - How does 9.43 demonstrate impartiality? One of the worst trades in the mind of a Jew was that of a tanner.
- 9.43 - he didn’t just stay a night or two - he stayed many days.
- If we’re going to be effective servants, we’re going to have to move with impartiality toward people.
- Our prejudices need to die if we’re going to be effective servants.
- How are you doing when it comes to being an effective servant?
- Are you part of the body?