Active MembersSeries: Evangelism & Church Growth
It is important for us to be talking about evangelism and church growth. We all have a part in this. 1 Corinthians 3.5-6 teaches that we’re all planters and waterers. The church of today can grow when every member makes a commitment to be active. Every member with a heart for people. An active membership is key to a thriving, attractive church.
The Center of God’s Church
- Acts 2.42 - they devoted themselves to …the fellowship… members connecting themselves to one another.
- The church is the context for an active Christian faith.
- Although faith is personal, it is never private.
- 1 Thessalonians 5.11 - Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
- What are some key characteristics of active members?
Authenticity and Integrity
- Scandal and hypocrisy are real things we have to contend with.
- People need to see in us humble people who recognize their own failings and need for Jesus.
- This was the attitude of Paul - 1 Timothy 1.12-17
- He owned his past: Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
- He glorified God for His mercy. See his authenticity; integrity; and consistency.
- Matthew 7.16, 20 - We will know others by their fruits. What kind of fruit are you producing?
- Ephesians 4.13 - when saints work together in ministry and mutual edification, we’ll become spiritually mature.
- Notice 4.15-16 - each part of the body engages in this work.
- People don’t just want ideas, they want practical advice and teaching that they can use in order to accomplish experiential change.
- Romans 1.12 - that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.
- Romans 12.10-13 - Love with brotherly affection. How are you doing with this list?
- 2 Corinthians 5.19-20 - we are His ambassadors.
- It should be in our spiritual DNA to tell the story of Jesus. To plead with and pray for sinners to be reconciled.
- If you’re a member, you need to be looking for ways to connect and serve.
- If you’re searching, you’re in a safe place where you can lay down your guard and grow. Maybe it’s by God's providence that you’re here today. How can we serve you?