Of Your Own Have We Given YouSeries: Stewardship & Service
Of Your Own Have We Given You
One of David’s greatest desires was to build a temple for the Lord, 1 Chronicles 28.2. God did not permit this and charged Solomon with the task. 1 Chronicles 29 contains the ceremony where David hands over the supplies he had gathered to build the temple. He challenged the leaders of Israel to give. After they do, David offers a prayer declaring all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours, …for all things come from you, and of your own have we given you, 29.11, 14.
God is the Owner, We are the Manager
- Psalm 89.11 - Don’t be in conflict with God.
- 1 Corinthians 4.7 - three questions. Three answers.
- Deuteronomy 8.17-18
- Matthew 7.7-11 - God wants to give good things to His children.
- A manager:
- oversees the owner's assets for the owner's benefit.
- carries no sense of entitlement to the assets he or she manages.
- finds out what the owner wants done and then carries out His will.
- Why is this so important? What does it mean for us?
Why We Give (2 Corinthians 8.1-8)
- 8.1 - Giving is motivated by grace
- 8.2a - Giving transcends circumstances …in a severe test of affliction…
- 8.2b - Giving is with joy ….their abundance of joy…
- 8.2c - Giving is not hindered by poverty …and their extreme poverty…
- 8.2d - Giving is generous …have overflowed in a wealth of generosity…
- 8.3a - Giving is proportionate …for they gave according to their means…
- 8.3b - Giving is sacrificial …and beyond their means…
- 8.3c - Giving is voluntary …of their own accord…
- 8.4 - Giving is a privilege, not an obligation …begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part…
- 8.5a - Giving is an act of worship …they first gave themselves to the Lord..
- 8.5b-6 - Giving is in submission to leaders …and to us by the will of God. ..As we urged Titus ....so he would also complete among you this act of grace.
- 8.7 - Giving works together with other Christian virtues …But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you—see that you excel in this act of grace also.
- 8.8 - Giving is Proof of Love …I say this not as a command, but to prove by the earnestness of others that your love also is genuine.
We Will Give an Accounting (Romans 14.10-12)
- We will give an account of
- Ourselves, Romans 12.1-2; Our possessions, Matthew 25.14-30
- Our time, Ephesians 5.15-17; Our abilities, 1 Peter 4.10
- Matthew 6.21 - where is your treasure?