Resolve Interpersonal ConflictSeries: Preparing to Face Eternity
Resolve Interpersonal Conflict
During October we’re concentrating on preparing for eternity and contemplating about the time when tomorrow begins without me. Hebrews 9.27 is an ever-present reality. When we live with a consciousness of it, it changes our perspective. Eternal things become the priority. So, what if you were told you were dying? Experts say that one of the first things on your mind would be the relationships with the people you love. Almost all of us have issues with family, friends, and others that need to be addressed. How do you fix them?
Do the Right Thing
- Two passages to consider:
- Romans 12.18 - so far as it depends on you, leave peaceably with all.
- Ephesians 4.31 - let all bitterness and wrath … be put away from you.
- Hebrews 12.15 - Bitterness is like a root that springs up and causes trouble.
- Proverbs 14.10 - What is in your heart? What is coming out of me?
- John 7.37b-38 - a poisoned spring cannot produce fresh water.
- Am I committed to change? See James 3.9-12.
Love One Another Earnestly
- 1 Peter 4.7a - the catalyst for faithful living: the end of all things is at hand.
- 1 Peter 4.7b - Since this is true, we must maintain a holy relationship with God.
- 1 Peter 4.8a: Keep loving one another earnestly…
- Earnestly: intense. Requires exertion. Sacrificial; not sentimental.
- See also 1 Peter 1.22; 2.1; 3.9.
- 1 Peter 4.8b - love covers a multitude of sins.
- Love forgives and forgives and forgives.
- 1 Corinthians 13.4-7
- Romans 12.21 - We must overcome evil by doing good.
- The bottom line is Matthew 6.14-15 - if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Say These Four Things.
- I forgive you. This is the practice of Matthew 7.12 and Colossians 3.13. This is what the Father and Jesus would do. See Ephesians 5.1-2.
- Please forgive me.
- Matthew 23.12 - Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
- Keeping score of who sinned the most is just childish. Put Ephesians 4.32 into practice.
- Thank you. 1 Thessalonians 5.18 - give thanks in all circumstances…
- I Love you. Romans 12.9 - let love be genuine. Express that love to others.
- What about you? Are you living like you’re dying?
- Does Romans 12.18 describe you?