Share Your KnowledgeSeries: What Will Your Legacy Be?
During November, we’re thinking about a time in the future when tomorrow begins without us. When your life ends, where will your destination be? How will you be remembered? Will people naturally reflect and celebrate the life you lived for God? Today we’ll talk about the legacy of teaching. You can possess the greatest amount of knowledge … but if it’s not used in a way to focus on others, … what good is it?
Spiritual Knowledge is Required
- 2 Peter 3.18 - Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 1.5 - God wants to enrich you in all speech and knowledge.
- Romans 12.2 - we are expected to discern the will of God,…
- Colossians 1.9-10 - Paul’s prayer for knowledge.
- 1.9a - Knowledge - deep and strong; thorough; and controlling.
- 1.9b - knowledge of his will.
- John 4.34 - My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
- John 7.17 - it’s here for the taking.
A Warning from 1 Corinthians 8
- 1 Corinthians 8.1b - knowledge puffs up. Love builds up.
- Isaiah 47.10 - wisdom and knowledge can lead us astray.
- 1 Corinthians 13.1-2 - Knowledge terminates at me. Love terminates at you.
The Principle of 2 Timothy 2.2
- 2 Timothy 2.2 - what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.
- Entrust is imperative, …a deposit of something valuable in a place for safekeeping.
- 1 Timothy 1.14 - the good deposit. Older versions: “treasure.”
- Titus 2.2-3, 7, 10 - the principle illustrated.
- 2.2 - older men are to teach… …2.3 - older women are to teach…
- 2.7 - everyone… a model of good works, integrity, dignity, and sound speech.
- 2.10 - in everything we are to adorn the doctrine of our Savior.
With Whom Can You Share Your Knowledge?
- Ephesians 6.4 - with your family … we are to bring our family up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
- Ephesians 4.11-16 - with others in the church.
- Evangelists, elders, and teachers equip saints for the work of ministry.
- We help each other move from spiritual instability (4.14) to mature manhood (4.13).
- Hebrews 10.24 - we stir up one another to love and good works.
- 2 Corinthians 5.9-10; 19-21 - with those outside the church.
- Matthew 28.19-20 - teaching is part of the great commission.
- When you’re gone … what will others remember about you?
- Will your words and example influence the generations left behind?