A Life That MattersSeries: What Will Your Legacy Be?
A life that matters doesn’t happen by accident. It’s not a matter of circumstance - but of choice. Choose to live a life that matters. As we’ve gone through 2019, we’ve done our best to equip you with the tools to lead a life that matters. We have described the process … showing what is necessary to get started … then devising a plan that incorporates Christianity into daily life. What does it take to build a life that matters? A life that takes God seriously? A life that is committed to building the type of spiritual legacy that will affect our family generations to come?
Reviewing Our Starting Point
- Let’s review p. 6-7 of our vision book.
- At the beginning of the year we divided our spiritual life into 7 parts or domains:
- Knowledge; faith in action; relationships; service
- Evangelism; worship; stewardship
- We asked you to score yourself in each of those areas. Can you see any progress?
- A better tomorrow comes out of the commitment I make today.
- 2 Peter 3.18 - a better commitment to grow in grace and knowledge…
- Ephesians 6.10 - a better commitment to stand in his strength.
- Philippians 3.14 - We press on … for the prize…. becoming like Jesus
- Romans 8.29 - God promises that He will bring this to fruition..
- 2 Corinthians 3.18 - we understand that this is a process.
The Key to a Life That Matters
- James 4.15 - include God in all your plans.
- Just before this, James has told us two things not to live:
- James 4.13-14a - don’t live as if God doesn’t exist…
- James 4.14b - don’t live as if you’re invincible?
- What is your life? You are a mist. A breath. A vapor. Steam.
- Job 7.9 : life is like a cloud that fades and vanishes.
- 4.15 - if the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.
- Proverbs 3.5-7 - the ultimate in including God in your plans…
- 3.5 - trust God. Don’t just depend on your own understanding.
- 3.6 - acknowledge God. His ways are right. Adopt them in your life. Why? He will make straight your paths.
- 3.7 - fear God. turn away from evil. Why?
- 1 Peter 1.13-19 - you have been consecrated; made holy.
- 2 Corinthians 7.1 - you are to bring holiness to completion in the fear of God.
- Your life is a gift to display the image of Christ.
- Philippians 1.20-23 - what was Paul’s number 1 passion?
- 1.20 - with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.
- 1.21 - by life … will I treasure Christ above all?
- 1.23 - by death … will Jesus become more satisfying to me than all of life and even life itself can give?
- Only when we live a consecrated life will our influence speak as it should.