What do you think of when you hear the words “victorious faith?” What images come to your mind? It is such a wonderful thing to think about. Victory. Winning. Success. Conquering. Overcoming. That’s the goal and the idea behind our 2020 Vision plan. Developing a faith that is strong, steadfast, and immovable — just like Paul said, 1 Corinthians 15.58.
Victory inside the New Testament Context
- John 16.33 - Jesus: I have overcome the world. Jesus won. Defeated. Victorious.
- Romans 8.37-39 - more than conquerors.
- Revelation 12.10-11 - Conquered by the blood of the lamb and the word of His testimony.
- 21.6b-7 - ultimate victory … to the ones who conquer.
- 1 Corinthians 15.54 - victory over sin, law, and death.
- 1 John 2.13-14 - you have overcome the evil one.
Overcoming the World
- Note the emphasis on overcomers in 5.4-5.
- 5.4 - overcomes - Present tense. Continuous. Habitual. Permanent. Ongoing.
- Connect to Colossians 1.13 - has delivered us. Your deliverance is a settled fact
Three Characteristics of Victorious Faith
- 5.1 - Faith in the truth (doctrinal test)
- 5.1 YLT: “of God he hath been begotten.”
- When you believe in Jesus, you are literally “out of God.”
- Not just mere intellectual knowledge of the fact of the incarnation.... but heartfelt acceptance of all that Jesus Christ is.
- Now, connect to 5.4 - whatever is born of God overcomes the world., by “our faith.”
- 5.2a - love of God and others (moral/ethical test)
- 1 John 2.10-11; 3.10, 17-19; 4.7, 21 - not just sentimental. It’s born out of a desire to honor/please God.
- Sacrificial love that longs to be with others and meet their needs as we can.
- 5.2b-3 - obedience. (practical test)
- 5.2b - “obey” his commandments: “to continue to do them.”
- 5.3a - “keep” his commandments: “to regard,” “to protect.”
- We’re eager to obey - that’s why 5.3b is so important: And his commandments are not burdensome.
- Connect to Matthew 11.28; John 14.15, 21
- 1 John 5.4 - Have you been born of God?
- Are you looking and trusting in God’s making you a super-conqueror?