Embrace Your FaithSeries: Sin is Always Sin
Embrace Your Faith
Last week we learned how God has identified you as a victor. An overcomer. A super-conqueror. Today, we move into the rest of our December sermon series … which is called “Sin is Always Sin.” Today’s lesson is foundational. “Sin is always sin,” because of the objectivity of the Word of God, which serves as an unchanging standard applicable as long as time shall stand.
How Satan Works
- Genesis 3.1 - Create Uncertainty - Did God actually say….?
- 3.2 - a true statement. See 2.16. But, 3.3a - notice where the primary focus is…
- 3.3b - exaggeration: “neither shall you touch it, lest you die.” (2.17 - false…)
- Genesis 3.4 - Tell a direct lie about God and what he says. You will not surely die.
- Genesis 3.5 - Offer a false promise that can never be realized.
- Half-truth: “your eyes will be opened.” Pride: “you will be ‘like’ God.”
American Culture 2020
- Uncertainty is everywhere. Direct lies are being preached everywhere. False promises are being offered. What do we do going forward?
- Ephesians 6.13, 16 - we don’t throw up our hands … we stand.
Three Ways We Embrace Our Faith.
- Move with Certainty.
- Objective truth is not like a river that flows, shifts and meanders through time. It is rock solid, settled, unmovable, and unchangeable.
- Genesis 1.1-4 - objectivity is part of the created order. And God saw that the light was good.
- Where do we find objective information on right & wrong?
- 2 Timothy 3.16-17. All scripture is inspired by God….
- Proverbs 30.5-6 - every word of God proves true…
- Psalm 119.160 - The sum of your word is truth. Every one of your righteous rules endures forever.
- Resist Satan’s Lies
- Ephesians 6.16 - shield of faith … to advance toward the enemy.
- Ephesians 6.17 - take …the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.
- 2 Corinthians 10.3-4 - we’re not waging war according to the flesh …
- Ephesians 6.17b - our weapon is the Word.
- Discover God's Promises of Peace.
- 1 Peter 5.7 - cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
- Philippians 4.7 - and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
- Isaiah 26.3 - you will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
- What will you embrace?
- Matthew 7.24-27 - are you building on the foundation of Jesus?
- Certainty exists. Truth exists. And one day, you’ll be judged by it: John 12.48-50.