Embrace the TruthSeries: Sin is Always Sin
Sin doesn’t change because culture changes, or because our friends do it. Sin doesn’t change because we struggle with it. Sin is always sin. On what basis can we make this claim? Answer: Proverbs 30.5-6: every word of God proves true. It is the standard of truth. The Biblical worldview is so vital to the continuance of our nation, culture, and families. We not only need to embrace and live it ourselves .... we need to have our passion about this drive us to pass it along to our kids and grandkids.
Why Truth Matters
- Matthew 21.23-27 - Jesus takes truth seriously and so must we.
- 21.25 - Jesus: take a stand. Declare what you believe.
- 21.27a - they decide to answer: “We do not know.”
- 21.27b - how does Jesus respond? Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things. There is no basis to continue the discussion.
- If we have no respect for truth, there is no reason to continue with Jesus. You can’t have a strong faith without a love for the truth.
What We Must Embrace
- Psalm 119.160a - the sum of your word is truth.
- 119.160b - Every one of your righteous rules endures forever. None of it is false.
- John 17.17 - If I want to know truth, I go to God’s word.
- Connect to Jesus, who speaks truth perfectly:
- John 7.18; 8.14, 16 - My testimony is true. My judgment is true.
- John 18.37 - I have come into the world — to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.
- It’s not just about how He speaks truth perfectly … He is truth.
- John 14.6: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- John 18.37 - He wants you to respond to and be part of the truth.
- God’s word is always relevant to everything we face in life.
- Directly by specifically addressing the issue
- Indirectly by revealing principles whereby we can use to make sound judgments.
How We Embrace It
- Lead by example.
- By building our entire life on its truth … and are ready to risk everything…
- Life choices (from largest to smallest); Attitudes and thoughts (in everything)
- 2 Corinthians 4.3-6 - by prayer to open our heart to the light God reveals.
- As darkness gives way to light … certainty fills our mind … and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus, Philippians 4.7.
- Truth is not a river that twists and meanders … it is a rock. It’s stable. Certain. Immovable. Permanent.
- John 14.6 - I am the way. I am the truth. I am the life. No one comes to the Father but by me.
- Have you embraced this reality?