Steadfast / ImmovableSeries: Steadfast & Immovable
Unless the Lord returns first, the hour of death … is coming … for all of us. And then what? What after that? Has anyone conquered death? Is there any way to go into it and come out on the other side? If they have, did they make it possible for you and me to find that victory? The answer to those questions lies in Jesus, Revelation 1.18; John 14.19. For those who believe on Him, trust in Him, that same triumph belongs. This is the power behind 1 Corinthians 15.54-58.
1 Corinthians 15.54 - Our Transformation
- Comparisons: perishable - imperishable; mortality - immortality; death - victory.
- What will this be like? Best answer is to see Jesus.
- A totally different body after the grave. Matthew 27, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20.
- Jesus received this body when he came out of the grave. We will too.
- 1 Corinthians 15.51-52 says this will happen in a moment.
- 1 Corinthians 15.54b - when it happens death will be abolished.
- Right now, death still has a sting. It hurts. But someday it won’t.
1 Corinthians 15.55-56 - Our Triumph
- 15.55 - Paul projects himself into the future. He sees death as a conquered enemy.
- 15.56 - Do you see our three enemies here?
- Law, sin, and death.
- Galatians 3.13 - Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us… Jesus paid our penalty for violating God’s law.
- Romans 6.14 - sin will no longer have dominion over you. You died in Christ. Your sin has been taken care of. Isaiah 53.5
- There is only one enemy left - death itself.
- Law, sin, and death.
1 Corinthians 15.57 - Thanksgiving
- Who do we thank?
- God the Father … who devised the plan of our redemption
- The Lord Jesus Christ … who literally carried out the plan …
- Death … it is nothing more than the opening of the door to our being with Christ.
- Philippians 1.23: Paul wants to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
1 Corinthians 15.58 - Therefore…
- When you really live in light of these facts, you get busy in the work of the Lord.
- 1 John 3.1-3 - Everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
- 15.58 - be steadfast: Don’t lose sight of your purpose. Stay on target.
- 15.58 - be immovable. Don’t get distracted.
- 15.58 - always abounding. Doing more than you ought by human standards.
- 15.58 - your labor is not in vain. Your time serving Jesus is never wasted
- Do you have the type of hope Paul is talking about?
- What will you see when you wake up in eternity?