Marks of True Faith: ImmovabilitySeries: Steadfast & Immovable
For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, Mark 7.21b. Ideas have practical consequences. Hope and love do not originate from nothing. They grow out of ideas - views of reality - revealed in Scripture. Consider the line of thinking found in 1 Corinthians 15.51-57: Death will be defeated. 15.58 - Therefore … our hope, love, and faith are the result.
- 15.58 - Immovable… “Not to be moved from place to place.”
- How this fits inside the Corinthian context.
- 2.1-2 - what did Paul proclaim when he came to Corinth?
- Satan tries to tear it down. 7.23 - do not become bondservants of men.
- 15.1-2 - hold fast to the word I preached to you…
- 15.21b - by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.
- 15.22b - in Christ shall all be made alive.
- 15.24b-26 - every enemy will be destroyed, including death.
A Mark of True Faith
- Colossians 1.23a - continue in the faith. Be established. Grounded. Firm.
- 1.23b - stable / steadfast.
- 1.23c - not shifting from the hope of the gospel you heard.
- Ephesians 4.11-14 - the parallel passage.
- 4.11-12a - evangelists, shepherds, and teachers equip.
- 4.12b - Who? saints. 4.12c - For: the work of ministry. Building of the body….
- 4.13 - Why? To produce unity of faith. Certainty.
- 4.14 - Purpose: Stability. Unmoved…
- Jude 3 - contend earnestly for the faith.
- 2 Corinthians 10.5 - we must bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
How Can I Get More of It?
- Rest in the promises of God.
- Proverbs 30.5-6: every word of God proves true.
- 2 Timothy 3.16-17 - the word of God is inspired….
- Resist Satan’s lies.
- Ephesians 6.16 - take up the shield of faith…
- 2 Corinthians 10.5 - engage in the battle with things set up against God.
- Find refuge in God. Psalm 46.1-3 - God is our refuge, strength and is present to help. 46.2a - Therefore, we will not fear.
- Hebrews 12.27-28 - Christians belong to a kingdom that cannot be shaken.
- Do you believe?