Marks of True Faith: Always AboundingSeries: Steadfast & Immovable
We’re living in a time when many people do not know how to work hard. Think about how this has led to a sense of entitlement … Some are even arrogant … asserting that those who are in manufacturing or farming aren’t very smart. The idea of abounding … might be a challenge more now than ever before. Today, we’ll learn what it means to abound in the work of the Lord.
What It Means to Abound
- 1 Corinthians 15.58 - always abounding in the work of the Lord…
- Always: “at all times.”
- Abounding: “abundant, plentiful, to exist in large quantities.”
- Philippians 1.9 - we are to abound in love for one another.
- 1 Thessalonians 3.12 - increase and abound in love for one another, and for all…
- Isn’t this what God does for us?
- Ephesians 1.7-8 CSB - he has poured out redemption, forgiveness, and grace upon us. He has given us an abundance of wisdom and understanding.
- Ephesians 1.18-19 - God has never been stingy or begrudging to us.
A Mark of True Faith
- Romans 8.15 - Abounding is the natural result of a changed heart.
- Acts 5.32 - the Spirit is given to those who obey Him.
- Your obedience is now motivated by love/gratitude/genuine desire to please.
- Now, back to the context of 1 Corinthians 15.51-57.
- 15.54-55 - Jesus defeated death for us. Paul so sure that he taunts it.
- 15.56 - By Jesus’ defeat of our enemies … we will live.
- He met every requirement of law - you are no longer subject to its penalty.
- By His vicarious death, Jesus destroyed the power of sin.
- 15.57 - thanks be to God, who gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 15.58 will be the natural result. Our work in the Lord is never in vain.
Four Things in Which We Can Abound
- 16.1-4 - we abound in giving. This is where the work of the Lord begins.
- 16.2 - On the first day of every week…
- Connect with abounding - 2 Corinthians 8.1-3 - Macedonians gave generously….
- Luke 6.38 - we give. God gives. Will we put this verse to the test?
- 16.5 - we abound in vision and planning.
- For Paul, there was always a goal or objective.
- Over the past 10 years we’ve striven help you see the value of planning.
- 16.6-7 - we abound in flexibility.
- 16.7b - if the lord permits. If God makes it happen.
- We move with the flexibility to allow God to make changes.
- 16.6-7 - we abound in excellence.
- 16.7 - Depth … with thoroughness. take time with you.
- Colossians 1.28 - present everyone mature in Christ.
- 16.8-9 - Paul was going to seize the opportunity right where he was.
- Have you become a part of God’s life-changing work?