Sowing and ReapingSeries: Pursue
Jeremiah 29.11 says that God intends to give us a future and a hope. That is all contingent on our commitment to persevere in living by God’s way. One of our greatest dangers is complacency. This is why Paul wrote in Galatians: let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.Today we want to discover both a warning and positive and encouraging words. You’ll see it in Galatians 6.7-10.
Galatians 6.7b - The Divine Law
- 6.7b - Whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
- Paul takes this principle and applies it to the moral/spiritual realm.
- Job 4.8: I have seen those who plow iniquity and sow trouble reap the same.
- Proverbs 1.31-33; 11.18
- We must not ignore these unalterable truths communicated in Scripture:
- Numbers 32.23; Psalm 90.8; Romans 2.9-10
Galatians 6.8 - The Divine Law Explained
- 6.8 - sowing to the flesh is allowing the flesh to control us instead of letting the Spirit subdue it.
- Paul says this leads to corruption. “being brought into a worse state.”
- 6.8 - sowing to the Spirit means to:
- 5.16 - walk by the Spirit; 5.18 - be led by the Spirit
- John 8.31 - abide in Christ and letting his words abide in us.
- Romans 12.1-2 - be transformed not conformed.
- 6.9 - Product of this is eternal life.
Galatians 6.9 - The Divine Law Fulfilled
- 6.9 - we must not grow weary. Become exhausted and give up.
- It’s the opposite of 1 Corinthians 15.58.
- 6.9b - for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
- Paul inspires us in 2 Corinthians 4.1-2; 8-10; 14 and 2 Timothy 4.7-8.
Galatians 6.10 - The Divine Law Applied
- 6.10 - opportunity - The total opportunity of our present earthly existence.
- 6.10 - let us do. Active tense that implies working effectively and diligently.
- 6.10 - good. Moral/spiritual excellence. See 5.22 - a fruit of the Spirit - the natural result of our relationship with Jesus.
- 6.10 - to everyone. Believers and non-believers. See Titus 2.7-8; 3.8
- 6.10 - we are to do good, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
- 1 John 3.14; 4.20-21 - the first test of your love for God is your love for your brothers/sisters.
- The greatest thing is that such sowing makes for joyful reaping and provides dynamic testimony to those outside of Christ.
- Those who are in Christ and do good will reap eternal life. Are you headed for eternal life?