Deal With Life's PrioritySeries: Preparing to Face Eternity
Over the last 4 weeks we’ve worked hard to impress upon ourselves the brevity of life, the reality of death, and the fact of Jesus’ return. James 4.14 teaches that our life could end suddenly with no warning. In Luke 13.4 - Jesus spoke about a tower that fell, killing 18 people. We are like David who told Jonathan, “there is but a step between me and death.” (1 Samuel 20.3) So, what if today were your last day and tomorrow began without you? Who would you reach out to? What would you say? What would you do?
God’s Greatest Desire
- Christianity answers life’s three most basic questions:
- Where did we come from? 1 Corinthians 8.6. All things come from Him.
- Why are we here? Colossians 1.16. We have been created for Him. See Matthew 5.16.
- Where are we going? Romans 11.36. To Him. The final goal of our existence is God.
- This is God’s greatest desire … and the reason why He sent His Son.
- 1 John 4.9-10. Jesus bore the wrath in our place so that we can experience eternal life.
- In heaven we will be reunited with God.
- Revelation 21.1-3: God himself will be with them as their God.
- Revelation 21.6-7 - I will be his God and he will be my son.
- Revelation 22.4 - we will see his face.
- Revelation 22.14-15. Blessed are those who wash their robes.
- This is the message of Scripture.
- John 11.25-26: everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.
- 2 Timothy 1.10 - Jesus, who abolished death, brought life and immortality.
Our Greatest Goal
- The one ambition that counts is the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus, Philippians 3.14.
- Let’s deconstruct Philippians 3.12-14 for a moment.
- 3.12b - press on. “Pursue. Chase. To run after.”
- 3.12b - press on - also conveys the idea of maximum effort.
- 3.12c - Maximum effort.... for what? So that I may law hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
- Paul’s goal in life had become consistent with Jesus’ goal for his life. What’s that?
- Romans 8.29 - to be conformed to the image of Christ.
- 3.13 - It’s to be come the one thing we do. It’s to be our focus.
- Psalm 86.11 HCSB: Teach me Your way, Yahweh, and I will live by Your truth. Give me an undivided mind to fear Your name.
- 3.13b - we forget the past and strain forward.
- 3.14 - the prize - This is to be made like Christ.
- 1 John 3.2-3 - we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
Life’s Priority Will Be Addressed
- 2 Corinthians 5.9-10 - what’s your aim?
- 2 Corinthians 5.18-6.2 - do not receive the grace of God in vain by putting off what you know you need to do.